Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Living Spirit

Last week we had a Full Moon ritual at my apartment, including drumming beforehand and tea after. As it was the first full moon of the calendrical new year, we continued with the theme of goals and resolutions, as well as the constant reflection of gratitude. It was a wonderful night, and one of the few group rituals I have of yet participated in. Ever since the poor experience Sarah and I had a few years ago while attempting priestess training, we have been wary of working with groups. We grew wary, and weary, of the ceremonious and uptight rites that each event seemed to be, with so many rules and rote repetition. Ritual must be performed by body and soul, not just memorization and guidelines. There are four in our group, not thirteen, and we will expand and contract as we wish. It happened by chance that we have two male and two female, but that would never be a prerequisite, because after all, aren't we all spirit anyway?

For me, that is one reason why each ritual we have had (two, now) with our group has been powerful. Because we don't follow rules or make it anything less than a good experience. We invoke on the fly, from our hearts, as it should be. The most powerful ritual that I have ever participated in was Sarah's hand-fasting, when we realized we'd forgotten the broom and all of the people in the circle came together to collect branches and twigs to make a crude replacement. It was spur of the moment, a mistake even, but that "broom" has more love and well-wishes and power in it than the other one ever could have, and that ritual, because of that moment, became the most powerful.

I am trying to incorporate more than just Sabbats and Esbats into my spiritual life. I maintain a perspective that is in line with my spiritual beliefs in all of my affairs- I try to live my faith, and that is what is most important. But I would also like to bring the symbolism and magic of personal rituals into it as well. I have prayer beads, but no prayers to speak with them; I would like to meditate, but time just seems to slip away (she says as she writes in her second blog...). I would like to start walking every day to get in touch with my environment, but it can be so bitterly cold here in Buffalo during the long months of winter (or the short- February is often the worst of the winter months here).

But I suppose if life has taught me anything it is that I will not get what I want by making excuses as to why it is difficult ;p I supposed I should just... do it. It will take form on its own, I am certain.

Brightest Blessings,

Madeline

No comments: